Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson



Title: The Adoration of Jenna Fox

Author: Mary E. Pearson

Genre: Science Fiction

Hardcover, 266 pages

Who is Jenna Fox?

Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen?

Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come questions-questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?

In this fascinating novel, acclaimed author Mary E. Pearson presents an unforgettable look at one human life and a glimpse into a possible future that may be closer than we think.

-Summary from Goodreads

The Adoration of Jenna fox is one of the most mysterious and psychological (deep) books I have ever read.

The beginning was a little slow, but there were so many unfulfilled explanations and disconnections in the book that it just forced me to keep reading. Pearson did an AMAZING job with the voice of Jenna. She was confused yet smart, independent, and weak yet strong. There was a major development of this character as the book went on.

What I loved about this book is it kept me guessing, and only at halfway through the book did most of my questions become clear. After some- note only some- explanations were told, the storyline goes full-speed ahead. There were new twists and more answers at every page, which only doubled my curiosity about one question: Who is Jenna Fox? Just like her, I had yet to understand who she truly was.

All the characters were well developed. Dane, the one who has something missing inside of him, the charming criminal Ethan, the real Mr. Bender. Dying Allys, Lily, the untruthful and secretive mom and dad. Every single character made an impact on Jenna and her new life. Before the accident, Jenna lived in Boston. It was really neat too hear her talk about Boston, like when she mentioned the T and shopping with Locke and Kara at Newbury Street. Those are real places (I've been to both), and it was fun to imagine the scenes since I have been there.

The plot was genious. I was especially hooked on a single phrase, that was repeated almost every chapter in the book.

"Hurry, Jenna, Hurry."

the meaning, which I realized in the end, was overwhelmingly powerful. The ending of this book was quite possible one of the most striking I've read yet. Sorry, I know I'm being very bland and un-descriptive, but if i mention anything about the ending or the main parts of the book, I'm sure to give it all away.

5 Beasts

No comments: